View Single Post
Old April 30, 2010, 11:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
You don't really think that those 3,000 times a day equates to 3,00 sales a day do you? Lets face it the vast majority of people downloading it are not ever going to buy it. The point is they are still selling copies of that game and have 0 DRM. I highly doubt they would have lost any sales if they had no DRM from the start. The people that bought the game would have still bought it, and the vast majority who downloaded it still would have. That is for a game that was not a draconian DRM scheme.

Now take AC2, I was interested in the game, until I found out it was going to be "checking in" with Ubisoft continuously. Even though I have a constant connection, I just cannot endorse that "solution" So that is a lost sale due to DRM. Now if I decide to end up getting it, then I will still have to download a crack just so I can play it without it checking up on me. That is the problem, this kind of DRM does not stop piracy, none of it does. All it does is cost sales and upset the paying customer.

Remember back in the day when the copy protection consisted of something like a cardboard wheel that you had to set to get the right word? Now that was doable copy protection, but of course that will not happen because that would cost money, of course I'm sure it would be less the the research into DRM.
Again, I am not endorsing DRM. I am simply stating it's existence is due to pirates. So you can blame them for it, not Ubisoft etc.. I won't buy a new Ubi game either with that DRM. I agree it definitely turns some people off. But only Ubi will know the outcome of its effectiveness. It's obvious they are testing the market with the deluge of games they are releasing with it on and will measure and analyze sales, free downloads and compare to previous releases and decide on the future of their new DRM. People may just adjust to it... we don't really know yet.

Remember HL2? Ya it came packaged with unholy DRM that forced you to connect online and install some software that was going to spy on you and infect your computer with all kinds of nasties. Now Steam is revered, not hated (for the most part). It took time and a lot of work on Valves part to make it a household name, but they did it. I know it isn't pirate proof either, but it was a step in that direction.

Of course I don't believe each pirated copy = a lost sale. That is ludicrous. But it is impossible for a business to ignore the numbers. If you actually start digging around the web on piracy and its effect on game companies you might feel differently. I am not even talking about big companies like EA or Ubi...

Calculating the exact effects is of course impossible but the numbers tell a pretty scary story. Does DRM work... on the PC I can't really know. However it's continued presence would have me think it helps at least a little. It certainly seems to quell the urges on the 360. Piracy on the PC is something like 10-1. For every copy sold 10 are pirated. On the 360 it's pretty much the opposite. Why? Because the 360 isn't just a point and click-able pirate machine and there's also being banned to help combat it.

Why do you think the PSP is a blackhole of AAA game titles and Sony went to a pure digital distribution with the PSP Go. Because people weren't buying games for PSP they were stealing them. There are well over 50 million PSPs in consumer hands, you would think that's enough to support a serious library of good games and give incentive to publishers to make quality games for it. Yeah... not so much. Instead it is becoming the Sony "App Store" (PSN) of low cost crap. The exact opposite effect of what pirates are so adamantly arguing for (i.e. better games).

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE