View Single Post
Old April 23, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
This is not true, it is a myth.

Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 use all available cores during boot up. The only thing this setting does is determine the maximum amount of processors/cores. So basically you can set it to 2 on a quad system and it will only use 2. But if you do not check it, it will still use all the processors/cores you have.

Tweaking Myth: Decrease boot time with msconfig - Within Windows

Myth: Speed Up Windows 7 Boot Up Time

Can a ?Secret? CPU Setting Really Improve Boot-up Time? TuneUp Blog about Windows

There supposedly was an article on the Microsoft KB (KB959233) that said Windows was only using 1 core. This article was removed due to the fact that the statement was false. This setting is really only there as a debug option. Also one other reason not to do it, is the fact that some people have reported major issues just booting after setting this.

Awesome! Thankyou. I actually spent a lot of time this afternoon trying to find anything at all on this; and I could not. I did not use the term "myth" in my search and so I actually couldnt really come up with anything to say there was anything wrong with the feature.

I had also read about it on technet so I figured it was totally safe.

Anyways, maybe i should change the title of my thread to HOW NOT to speed up windows 7? hahaha
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.