View Single Post
Old April 20, 2010, 03:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Powercolor PCS+ 5850

So I'm wanting to buy a 5850 and it's really hard to find one at a decent price. I did however come across this one: Powercolor PCS+ Radeon HD 5850 760MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI DP PCI-E Video Card W/ Cod MW2 - DirectCanada available at a few places. Just looking to know if Powercolor is a decent company. I know their warranty/support probably isn't the best but what about their products themselves? I've read a few places that this Powercolor 5850 seems to use more power than reference design 5850's. The card is factory overclocked so that would raise consumption a little bit but in the Tom's review, it's pulling over 40W more than reference at maximum, and around 36W average. Does that seem right? Are they using cheap components on this card?

Oh ya here's the links

techPowerUp :: Powercolor HD 5850 PCS+ Review :: Page 27 / 33

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...&limitstart=14

edit- and since I just checked the other sections of the benchmark reviews it looks like they use a different (cheaper) voltage regulator. I'm assuming this is the reason for the higher consumption? Yes/no? Also is this card longer than a regular 5850? Anybody own one?

Last edited by headsh0t; April 20, 2010 at 04:50 PM.