View Single Post
  #50 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2010, 02:15 PM
technix technix is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 735
Default

ipaine, I don't know if this will help you but I was looking at 120/128GB SSDs for my Linux OS. If I get one for Windows, I'm content with the Intel X25-M G2 80GB. I won't need more space than that for Windows and files/storage will go on a 1TB (or more than 1TB) HDD.

But, I prefer at least 100GB for Linux for various reasons. Anyway, I typed up a brief list but it includes *current prices as of today, April 9. I thought this might help for anyone who recommends or wants a visual representation of what one's getting when looking at the SSD and the price. Also, I thought it might help for personal recommendations and how I'm looking at things.

AkG, thanks for yet another reply! I tend to agree. RiData is known more for CDs/DVDs and even if it's a JMicron controller, a newer one, it still probably is a risk and not that much of a deal when you consider those points.

Okay, here's my list:
SSDs 120GB or more:

=/+$350:
1) Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB - $429
2) OCZ Vertex LE 120GB - $429
3) OCZ Vertex Turbo 120GB - $425

<$350:
Kingston V+ Series 128GB - $319
Corsair R120 - $344
Corsair V128 - $350

<$300:
Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425 (S2BD?) - $280*
*S2BD or S2BN or S2?????? - what are these?!?

AkG, I guess I am waiting for prices to go down a bit...although, this wait seems ongoing! lol! Will prices ever reduce? I thought the introduction of the Sandforce controller would result in some price reductions but I guess there aren't too many new SSDs out yet with this controller?

Anyway, if I decide I can afford around $400, then I would try for that Crucial SSD. If not (and likely NOT), I'll keep waiting or spring for the Kingston SNV425 or V+ SNVP325-S2 128GB. The 'V+' version seems halfway decent if I want the price around $300 and if I want it no more than $300, the other Kingston. It's just that there is quite a significant jump in performance if I invest another $100. Right now, I think it's tough to justify that and really shouldn't anyway. :)

The Kingstons are probably good enough compared to typical legacy hard drives.

I'll have to think about it. Wait and hope for price drops or get a Kingston? :) The other wait would be to see if the Vertex 120GB goes back down to $300 with rebate but the current $400+ (and change) is a rip, to be honest, when one can have Sandforce controller SSDs for the same price.

Does that help at all, ipaine?!?
Reply With Quote