View Single Post
Old March 31, 2010, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You can get that for your budget. Definitely go for Intel i3, you can find them in this range. You likely won't get a discrete GPU only onboard graphics. Basically it'll come down to things like size, do you like chiclet keyboard, warranty... stuff like that. They should all have video out/wi fi etc...

Models to look at are:

Dell Inspiron
Not crazy about the Dell consumer line these days but it meets your needs, you can choose 14"-17" and plenty of other CTO options and Dell offers good warranty if you want to pay for it.
Laptops / Notebooks | Dell Canada

Asus K52
These are nice if you can find one under $700 otherwise you'll have to pay a bit more. Good reputation, 2 year warranty.
asus k52 - Price Comparison - Canada's Cheapest Prices

Sony Vaio E Series
Never owned a Sony but they are actually competitively priced nowadays. Seen some i3s on sale at FS for your price and I liked how they felt. And I know people who have good expereince with Sony stores so you might want to see if they'll price match and you'll get better service than FS.
Sony VAIO 15.5" Intel Core i3-330M 2.13GHz Laptop (VPCEB11FDT) - Brown - Future Shop

HP G62
Have had hit and miss relationship with HPs myself. Check it out at FS or BB and see what you think?
HP Pavilion 15.6" Intel Core i3-330M 2.13GHz Laptop (G62-134CA) - Future Shop

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE