View Single Post
Old March 20, 2010, 11:44 PM
Top Prospect

One concern: A basic ion system will work great if you have everything setup to run using video hardware acceleration. The moment you try to run a movie or clip that is not using hardware acceleration, your system may turn to mush (stuttering, stopping, etc..). That's the only concern I have. It sounds great if you have it perfectly setup, but you may feel the performance lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Questions:
2. If i were to run XMBC, should i run it on linux or windows?
Your choice. It really depends on how comfortable you are working with linux. Although some linux distros have improved tremendously over the past decade, eventually it still will require you to understand and get into the innards of linux and eventually run command prompt-based applications. Once you get comfortable with Linux, you will find it more flexible and easier to configure for your needs than windows. The advantage of windows is that is is mostly an 'install and forget' thing, and you don't really play around with the innards much.

Quote:
3. Can XBMC run emulator programs for systems like snes, n64, gameboy, etc?
From what I've heard, yes. In XBMC linux, a simple google took me to this XBMC Emulation station blog Off World Girl's Terrestrial Com Channel: XBMC Emulation Station

Quote:
4. How hard is it to 'share' hard drives on a network between linux and windows?
Very very easy. Read up on 'Samba', which allows you to setup shares in linux and connect to them from windows boxes, and allow linux to connect to shares on windows. There may be other solutions, this is the one I used for the last decade.

Quote:
5. Should i use a 7200rpm hdd instead of a 5400rpm when i use it as a NAS ontop of a HTPC?
Makes no difference in most of the things you are going to do with the system. For movies, both would be fine.

Quote:
6. I know windows you can run remote desktop, is there something similar in Linux?
This is where linux really shines. They had remote terminals and connections way before windows did (inherited from big UNIX systems). And there are a lot of choices.

Historically, you used a terminal software like SSH to open a window and enter commands at a command prompt. Today I'd use Real VNC or something similar to open a graphical window. The two choices for a graphical window (desktop) would be freenx and RealVNC, which work a little different. For an HTPC I'd use RealVNC.

See this link for a quick list of some of the options.
polishlinux.org Remote access in Linux