Thread: TekSavvy Modems
View Single Post
Old March 20, 2010, 12:59 AM
MVP

Default TekSavvy Modems

I'm making a switch from cogeco to TekSavvy. I live with my sister and she has a package plan with Cogeco, which includes hdtv, phone and internet. I'm always going over the bandwidth usage and don't feel like shelling out and extra $50 for over usage ontop of the rent I pay here. So i've decided to get my own internet.

Anyways, for those of you that are with TekSavvy, what modem would you recommend that is reliable, fast and futureproof? Is it worth getting a modem they supply, or buying your own? I heard mixed feelings about their all in one (modem/router/wifi) SpeedTouch 585 modems. Some people have said just to get their Speedtouch 516 modem and buy your own router with wifi.

I've never had to actually buy a DLS modem, so that is why I am asking for help. I don't know what would be the best DSL modem to get that would be hassle free and reliable ontop of getting the best speeds.

I know I would need a router as I do online banking, and the router would have to have wifi since my g/f has a wifi laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."