View Single Post
Old March 12, 2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-Fuzzy View Post
I don't know if I would call a gts 250 a low power card.... and watch out for the green versions of the 250s...they run at lower clock speeds and it does hurt performance a fair bit. I would probably buy one of the ATI cards. But could go either way I guess. If it is just for casual gaming..get an ATI at least you get DX11.

My thoughts
Yes, casual gaming. However, what I do the most is watch movies on my computer but I also want decent 3D so when I run Google Earth, for e.g., I want it to work. I also like the option to add to my uses so if the card is capable, that is a big plus. I believe many Linux users claim that various ATI driver situations result in video tearing, depending on what you do exactly and which driver versions you're using. I guess the complications arise with so many factors with ATI, it's difficult to figure what may work and what results in these alleged issues.

I'll eventually have a SSD for Windows 7 and my current drive for Linux (booting). When TRIM matures for Linux, I'll get one for that, too.

I read that ATI is good until there's updates with X.org, X-Server, the kernel and other updates/upgrades that break or change something relating to video, video drivers and the card. Fedora users, for e.g., so far advise against ATI cards since the latest binary driver doesn't work and hasn't for a while. I read that ATI drivers can work in Ubuntu but several intangibles or factors have to be present. The latest driver might or might not work depending on whether you do the right tweaking. I have had some issues with my Nvidia card and it does involve a manual driver install if you want to use the latest driver and features. But, I always got it to work and the driver installed successfully, ultimately. It's like going with the devil you know, I guess.

I like how ATI has improved power efficiency and has cards with lower heat output but still maintains a decent amount of performance. The last batch of Nvidia cards have really good performance but maybe at the cost of considerable power and I'm not too sure about the heat. Maybe they run hotter than current ATI cards, I'm not sure. I guess some of these Nvidia cards will get cheaper when Fermi is officially widely released. The other problem is that ATI is often said to be slow with reacting to changes and in Linux, it can take twice as long or more for a driver update than Nvidia. One more concern is that Nvidia can work in Wine and ATI might or might not, depending on who you talk to.

I'd use Windows for the gaming, however, so that is the least of my complaints but just mentioning it.

Thanks for the comments and ideas.