View Single Post
Old March 9, 2010, 05:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw907 View Post
Based on experience, or other people's opinions?

I'm using the 790FX-GD70 at the moment, and the features in it are awesome, especially for OC'ing.
I'm happy for you but I dislike MSI based on my own experience; not to mention the experience of others...

I have tried using MSI boards on 3 occasions. One was back in the Pentium 4 days with a 965 chipset which brought me great headaches because of memory incompatibilities. I have tried a low-end MSI AM2 board based on the nForce 430 chipset (K8NGM2-IL) which died within a month in a customer's machine. And finally, most recently I serviced a customer's machine last year with a G31-based MSI mobo with DDR2 and DDR3 slots where mysteriously the board always declared that no RAM was present no matter what I plugged into those slots. So yeah, I haven't had a rosy time with MSI. Maybe they've changed in recent times but I've got a sour taste in my mouth still.

I don't mind trying low-end stuff. I've bought a plethora of Biostar, Foxconn and $60-90 Asus boards. But with MSI I've simply had dead boards and malfunctions!
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 Windforce | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit