View Single Post
Old March 8, 2010, 10:20 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
it's logical for me to feel disappointment when they don't shift existing quad core and new hexa and octa core CPUs to the 32nm process.
The upcoming 6-core CPUs will be manufactured on a 32nm process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
i'm pretty sure you're wrong about that.

bloomfield is equivalent to gulftown(super high-end)
lynnfield is equivalent to clarkdale
clarksfield is equivalent to arrandale
Wrong on all counts. Gulftown is effectively a die-shrunk and 6-core version of Bloomfield with a few tweaks. Not equivalent, since Gulftown has two extra cores. Lynnfield is a quad-core 45nm chip, whereas Clarkdale is a dual-core 32nm chip with a 45nm GPU/northbridge die. Clarksfield is a 45nm quad-core laptop CPU, and Arrandale is a 32nm dual-core CPU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
What you described here deals with the details of engineering and product process. What I said was that you could have the same architecture chip on different production processes. Redesigning circuit paths, etc doesn't mean it's a new architecture.

And to be honest, I don't care what the problems are to move to 32nm because I'm an end user. If I was an electrical engineer in that field I might have cared but, it's not my problem. I am not an engineer and all I care about is getting more performance for my dollars spent.

Nor do I have the desire to enter this field of work...so I don't see why you're getting all personal.

We all "wish" for stuff. Sometimes the manufacturers put out impressive new products and sometimes they fall short of consumers' expectations or desires. That's life.
We're not talking about consumer CPUs here. For servers, the concerns you're bringing up are largely insignificant. Once Intel does release consumer 8-core CPUs, they'll be either 32nm depending on whether they are released with the Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge generation.