View Single Post
Old January 9, 2008, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
My thoughts:
  • At present, DX10 has been supported by cards for over a year, and there still isn't a single game out there that doesn't use DX9.
  • The ones that also support DX10 almost universally use it for high-end settings that most cards aren't capable of running smoothly.
  • Despite many other rumours about them, I've seen no indication that G100/R700/Whatever the hell NVidia and ATI actually call their new architectures will support DX11. Even if they do, they're not expected for at least half a year yet.
  • Conclusion: It's going to be a loooong time before you'll need a DX11 card.
Grab a 8800 GT or an HD3850, you'll do alright. If you got a little money, the 8800GTS and HD3870 will give you a little more performance at slightly less value. If you have some money and patience, there have been rumours that Nvidia's going to be turning out a single card replacement for the 8800 GTX, just slightly below their upcoming dual-PCB card.
Even when DX11 comes out (Windows 7) I think we will see what we are seeing with DX10 . A year after release there is still just a hand full of games and systems that run it. Granted more and more games are DX10 but how many were there in the first 6 months?
By the time DX11 matures to the point that most developers use it a DX10/DX10.1 card will be outdated and underpowered IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton