View Single Post
Old February 26, 2010, 08:23 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varroa View Post
If you update the firmware it is HIGHLY recommend to run a sanitary erase. Everytime I have upgraded my firmware I have ended up with corrupt data if I didn't follow the update with a Sanitary erase. However, your mileage may vary.
Its recommended by who? I would like to see the links backing that statement up please. It may be recomended when updating from a PRE-TRIM firmware to a TRIM aware firmware as there may be a lot of garbage kicking around...but from 1.3 to 1.4 to 1.5....I dont think so. Would love to learn something new though. :)

I have updated the firmware on dozens of Indlinx's and have never had a problem with data corruption....just lucky I guess. YMMV

As for the OP its going to be FRESH install....there isnt any data to corrupt! IF you are afraid of a lot of garbage kicking around and its effects on speed before updating the firmware....run wiper.exe it will clear out all the garbage for you. THEN update the firmware, then do a fresh install.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; February 26, 2010 at 08:29 AM.