View Single Post
Old February 20, 2010, 09:10 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Auzen Bravura, or another card to suggest?

Hey all;
I had (have...on loan to someone else) an Asus Xonar DX sound card, and was pretty happy with it. The music quality was not as good to me as some of the Creative cards I had, but was better than onboard sound. I also did not like the fact that the DX required a power cable, creating extra clutter in the case.

I am looking for a new sound card. Here are the things I am looking for in order of importance:

1. PCI-E
2. Great sound quality for music. Will output to 5.1 speakers using analog jacks (green, orange, black jacks)
3. No additional power (ie. floppy, molex, etc) needed.
4. Low profile maybe**

**I mention low profile, because the card is going in this rig:

You can see the while PCI-E 16x slot right above the tuner I have installed in the old PCI slot at the bottom. I am concerned that a full sized, or larger sound card will be impeded by the 90 degree barb for the video card.

I would be happy if the sound card was not low-profile, and would clear that barb no problems, and allow me to install without having to remove the video card.

Here is another look at the mobo without all the cards:

So far, I have found this video card:
Canada Computers - Sound Cards : Auzen X-Fi Bravura 7.1 PCI Express (Retail Box) . , more info here: Auzen X-Fi Bravura from Auzentech, Inc. : World First soundcards for Music, HTPC, and Gaming.

Any thoughts on that card, its sound quality, or possible better solutions? My only concern about that card so for is that it might be a pain to install with that 90 degree barb in the way.
Fold for team #54196