Thread: Replace HDD?
View Single Post
Old February 10, 2010, 11:56 AM
Top Prospect

Yes, you can clone your hard drive onto a new one.

Seagate provides free software you can download to do this with their drives (DiscWizard).

Western Digital also provides free software to download (Acronis TrueImage) which accomplishes the same thing, and is probably better than Seagate's DiscWizard.

If you replace your hard drive with one which is a year or two newer, it's almost a given the replacement will be faster than the model it replaces, whether you will notice that difference is questionable.

I like Seagate hard drives and had long sworn off Western Digital because of problems I had with their older models, but for the past few years I've found them to be solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt View Post
So, I have a couple questions that Google hasn't been very kind in answering.

I was thinking of replacing my HDD, which is a Seagate 7200.10 500GB since it's on the noisy side. It may be my imagination, but it seems to be getting noisier, so I've got a hunch that it may bite the dust in the future.

Is it possible to install a 2nd HDD, say a 7200.12 or Caviar Black (open to suggestions), mirror the primary drive, then swap the drives so the new HDD becomes the primary? I'd probably keep using the old one just as storage for unimportant stuff. Or am I better off doing a full system wipe and starting from scratch?

Also, would there be any noticeable difference in speed from an 7200.10 to one of the drives I mentioned?