View Single Post
Old February 1, 2010, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So we are thinking the same way. There is many thing that they can do and that would be better then PCI-E. I would for sure prefer a smaller board with better function instead of a field of un-used PCI-E slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
My thoughts. There are my PERSONAL thoughts...not professional observations:

Aside from Folders, the appeal of this board will be limited due to the frankly idiotic placement of the PCI-E 1x slot. The PCI-E 1x slot is placed there due some absolutely misguided copy-cat effect where it seems companies suddenly think every high end boards needs a plethora of PCI-E slots even though neither SLI nor Crossfire scales above 4 GPUs. Instead, they use a hot-running, power-sucking, performance-robbing NF200 chip just to make sure folders get a hard-on and maybe buy their board.

IMO, this type of layout has no place on a consumer-oriented motherboard. ASUS has it right: keep this stuff for your workstation-class boards.

All I can say is thank God they kicked Lucid to the curb when it came to the X58 iteration of Big Bang.

My main frustration is that we are finally seeing some new X58 baords come out and the best thing they can claim to have is more PCI-E slots. Seriously, this is all the engineers can come up with? To copy EVGA and to a greater extent ASUS? Give me some innovation like EVGA did with their new digital PWM circuitry or Gigabyte / ASUS did with SATA III / USB 3.0 implementaion or ASUS did with that brilliant SATA III add-in card. All we are seeing here is a case of PCI-E slot envy run amok.

And yes, I know that a PCI-E 1x cards will work in a 16x slot...

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||