View Single Post
Old January 25, 2010, 10:04 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
If my memory is good, when Intel release the 850 with Rambus, all the other board that fallow was suppose to be on Rambus, but other company find the way to make run the P4 on Sdram, and after came the DDR. An Intel came back with DDR board... So I guess Rambus have some reason to hate everyone, they see their future end, with the release of the first Intel chipset working with Sdram,
It was supposed to be RDRAM for the high-end platform and SDRAM for the low-end platform, so Intel had the 850 chipset for RDRAM and the 845P chipset for SDRAM. However, RDRAM never caught on because of its price and usability issues (requirement to use pairs of sticks), and Intel was losing out on profit because AMD's platform used much cheaper DDR memory, so they released the 845PE chipset with DDR support and dropped RDRAM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Well, Intel did patent/owns x86....
Which is not remotely the same thing. x86 is a specific CPU instruction set, which was designed by Intel. CPUs can still exist using other instruction sets. It's not as if Intel patented the concept of having a general purpose processing unit.