View Single Post
Old January 24, 2010, 05:26 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
How about making ATI gpus that can actually fold on par with nVidia ones? AMD is missing out on market which is us folders. It would be great to have more options for diferent price ranges and ppd other then the ones we have to chose with with nVidia.
The problem isn't the GPUs, it's the fact that the GPU cores are not designed properly to take advantage of them. And I doubt that will change any time soon, since ATI's degree of involvement with the project has not changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
It's coming, it's coming. GPU3 is just around the corner.
Don't get your hopes up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
IMO, even GPU3 won't hold a huge performance increase for ATI cards. It all comes down to the way ATI's memory controller over-taxes the framebuffer with constant reads and writes due to ATI not implementing nearly enough cache inside of their chips. Hopefully their next-gen chips will take GPGPU apps into a bit more consideration.
Actually, one of the problems with the current cores is that they don't make use of the local data stores in RV770 and RV870 AT ALL, which leads to a lot of repeat calculations being performed. Right now it doesn't matter how much cache the SPs have if it isn't being used altogether. And I'm not convinced that the size of the LDS will even be a bottleneck should it start to be used. The only way to make that assessment would be to actually test it out and see what the performance results are.