View Single Post
Old December 29, 2007, 07:35 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
First off, welcome! Second, I believe you did your homeworks. Here are my answers:
Thanks for your reply!

Quote:
- of all the hardware, I have 2 comments: I would try to hold on as long as you can before buying the Quad and wait for the new CPUs that are around the corner
I've been holding out a long time already. I tend to just buy new stuff when I need it rather than play the infinite waiting game. I'll look into it, but I don't really want to wait much longer.

Current system:
CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ S939 @ Stock w/ Arctic Freezer 64 (my proc doesn't like to overclock :( )
Mobo: Asus A8N5X (It was the only S939 PCIe mobo I could get at the time)
RAM: OCZ Value DDR400 2GB Dual Channel Kit
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1900XTX 512MB
Case: Antec P180 original
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic (I'll be moving this over to the new rig since a new one will not be much better. Can anyone suggest a soundcard that does onboard processing that works with linux? I would really like to ditch this X-Fi that doesn't do linux.)
Monitor: Samsung 225BW 22" Widescreen (This will be moving over as well)
Speakers: Logitech X-530s (These will be moving over as well. I don't use them much)
Mouse: Logitech G7 'Carbon' (This will be moving over as well)
Keyboard: Logitech G11 (This will be moving over as well)

Quote:
and I would keep both Raptors. Overkill? Yes. That's the point.
I'm having trouble justifying the price to myself though.

Quote:
- SpotCools are great in a wc rig, since airflow is at a minimum. But why a couple of MX-7 paste tubes? For a new build, one tube is plenty.
Hah, I've got TIM coming out my ass already too! I like to have lots handy since I tend to need it in the heat of the moment .

Quote:
- WC parts: no NB block? You should. Helps a lot in oc'ing.
I couldn't really find a good one for the board I chose. I would really like to get my hands on an eVGA 780i board and a NB cooler. Would that be too much for one loop?

Quote:
All your parts are great choices, no problem there. Your loop is fine too.
Thanks, it's nice to know I didn't do something horribly wrong .

Quote:
I don't think you'll have any space left for the HDDs next to the rad; on my Lian-li, there is an adaptor that allows HDDs to be installed in the 5.25" bays. Maybe Silverstone has something similar too.
I'll have to look into it.

Quote:
You will have one heck of a rig. Take your time while doing the assembly and enjoy it!
I've been planning / reading up for the better part of a week so far. I am going to set aside a weekend to do the build. I'll take lots of pics .