View Single Post
Old December 29, 2007, 05:39 PM
Top Prospect

Question Newbie Water Cooling Build -- Opinions?

Hi guys. I'm fairly new to water cooling, so I was hoping a few of you water-cooling veterans could look over my build and possibly suggest a better setup before I purchase everything. I appreciate any replys :).

I've read a bunch of WC FAQs and tried to build the best loop I could. Tubing is absent since I can't seem to find any 1/2" tubing or clamps online. A trip to Home Hardware / Home Depot / Whatever should fix that.

Main Stuff:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Motherboard: ASUS P5N32-E SLI - Seemed to be the only nice SLI motherboard. I have been recommended the newer 780i and am very tempted to switch to it.
RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-1066 - This should overclock like a mofo, right? Not sure if i want to go 4GB since I'll only be using XP 32-bit.
VC: 2x EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS Crysis Edition 512MB -
HD: 3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB in RAID5
HD: 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB in RAID0 - These are probably overkill. I'm tempted to remove one or both of them due to cost.
PSU: Silverstone Zeus ST75ZF 750W
NIC: Intel PRO/1000 Pt
ODD: Samsung SH-S203N Black SATA
Card Reader: nGear Flash Card Reader 3.5IN Internal USB
Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ07-B Black E-ATX Aluminum Case

I threw in a few Antec Spot Cool fans for cooling the ram and chipset. I also grabbed a couple tubes of MX-7.

And now the water cooling stuff:

CPU Block: D-TEK Customs Fuzion CPU Water Block - This seems to be VERY popular.
VGA Block(s): 2x EK-FC88 w/ Acetal Top (Going to have to order this direct from EK)
Pump: Swiftech MCP655 12V - Changed to this from the -B version since it is stuck on the fourth speed setting.
Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Clear HI-FLOW Water Cooling Reservoir - Seemed to be the only one available that wasn't gigantic.
Radiator: Thermochill Pa 120.3 Triple 120MM Fan Water Cooling Radiator - From what I can tell this will fit nicely in my TJ-07 without much modding. Not sure if I can keep the HDD cages?
Fittings: Thermochill 1/2IN Chrome Plated Barb Fitting G3/8 Threads - These look to be the only fittings that will work with the Pa 120.3!
Accessories: Water Accelerator Nozzle Kit for D-TEK Fuzion CPU Block - These are a nice cheap add-on that will improve performance.
Fittings: Danger Den Cooling System Fillport Black W/ Wrench - I figure I'll put a T by the pump and stick this in the top of my case. Or can I somehow attach it to the res?
Biocide: Pts Petra PT_NUKE Concentrated Biocide - Since I don't have any mixed metals this is all I should need for additives, right?
Dye: D-TEK Customs Liquid F/X UV Dye Water Cooling Additive Yellow - Yes, I know, it looks slightly like urine. I like the colour yellow though. Can anyone suggest something that doesn't quite look like urine? I was looking at the alien green, which is kind of yellow-ish.
Fans: 3-5x Yate-Loon fans - These should cool down that Pa 120.3 nicely :lol: Also looking at a few for the HD cages.

I've attached a drawing of my planned loop: Pump > Rad > GPU > GPU > CPU > Res > Pump. Can anyone suggest a better loop? I chose to put the GPUs first to keep tubing length down. Not sure if that was the best choice.

I'm guessing I won't be able to fit the hard drive cages underneath if I put the rad there. Is it possible to mount them in the 5.25" bay?

Estimated Cost @ NCIX Before Taxes and Shipping: $3,527.88
Estimated Cost After Price Matching: $3,055.17
Attached Images