View Single Post
Old December 27, 2007, 10:12 AM
Rookie

Question Modular PSU 600W+ & Good Value

Hey Canucks!

Lurker for a while here, but never posted before. I am hoping I can get some help/advice from some of you more knowledgeable folks.

I have specced and slowly purchased (what I feel is) a good system for my needs, piece by piece over the last 4 months or so. Budget is a primary factor, and I had to save up for each piece. I am now down to power supply as my last part needed.

I have built several systems in the past with excellent results, but I am not, by any means, a true expert in the field. I read a lot, research a lot and I think that I pick good parts. I have enough experience to know (and thoroughly believe) that a good quality power supply should be a necessity for anyone building a PC. In the past, I have used Enermax just because I always trusted their quality and liked the value they represent. I am not stuck on them, however.

I want a modular power supply, since I hate clutter and love simplicity. I have used the Enermax Liberty 500W last year and absolutely loved it. This time, I really wanted the Corsair HX620, but I find it overpriced, even though I know (and have read the HWC review) that it is an excellent PSU. I also read the review here for the Thermaltake PurePower RX 600W, but I can't seem to find any retailer with that particular modular model. So I have been looking at the Enermax Liberty 620W for this build, since I was able to find it at a local Ontario retailer (initials CC) for $119.99, versus $140-160 for the Corsair. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a modular PSU in the 600W+ area retailing for around $100-120? Or does anyone have any experience with the Enermax Liberty 620W? I am not concerned with A lack of a PCIe 8-pin (although the Liberty DXX for $119 has a 6+2 cable anyway) for the near future, as if and when I get a new video card, I am willing to get a new PSU. Either way, that is a LONG ways off. I will only be doing very mild overclocking on the CPU. The specs (so far) on my almost-ready-to-be-built system:
  • Antec P182 case (I absolutely love Antec's quality, and have built with the P180 in the past)
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 (got through an Intel retail employee purchase program for a ridiculously low price)
  • Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R mobo (I never intend to Crossfire or SLI and I love Gigabyte's build quality and the DDR3 forward-compatibility)
  • OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB DDR2-800 4-4-4-15 (2x2GB kit)
  • XFX GeForce 8800GTS 512MB (G92)
  • LG DVD-RW SATA
  • OCZ Vendetta CPU cooler
  • Western Digital SE16 500GB SATAII (main)
  • Western Digital 250GB SATAII (.iso backups)
  • Arctic Silver 5
  • Will be running dual-boot with Vista Ultimate 64-bit as primary, XP Pro 32-bit as secondary
Thanks in advance for any help/guidance!

Dab

Last edited by DaBruuzer; December 27, 2007 at 10:34 AM.