View Single Post
Old January 12, 2010, 06:50 PM
Top Prospect

Tried a few things:
- reflashed the BIOS
- pressed the memOK button
- checked that everything is plugged in and seated OK

It started booting up OK, but hung after a few mintues. A minor improvement, but not a fix

Then pulled out three sticks of RAM, leaving it with 2Gb, and it ran fine. Did swear at me, since the CPU cooler fan I removed to get at the RAM was plugged in as the CPU Fan.

Put in one more stick for a total of 4Gb, and it seems to be running fine.

Possibilities:
1> it does not like 8Gb, even when everything is running stock
2> it does not like 8Gb of DD3-1600
3> one of the two sticks that have been pulled is faulty

I am going to run it as is for a day or two, verify that it really is solid. If it runs OK, will switch the ram and see if it stays stable, and then try to draw some conclusions.

There are comments in the manual about running with four memory sticks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel
Due to Intel spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMs and DD3-1600 are supported
for one DIMM per channel only
I am not sure what that means to my current situation, since I am running it as DD3-1333, and there are two DIMMs installed on Channel A.

The memory is G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM. These are not listed on the ASUS QVL, but there is lots of F3-12800CL8D and F3-12800CL9D memory listed. The ASUS QVL for this motherboard is old, from last October (which is a few centuries in computer time....). Three of the four entries for G.Skill DD3-1600 are 6Gb three pieces sets! I am referrring to the version of the QVL on ASUS's web site, which should be the latest and greatest.....