View Single Post
Old December 18, 2009, 04:16 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default First time attempt OC, yet lost

Recently the rig has been slightly slow and decided to try and hold til Feb since I am taking a trip soon. Then I remember a reply when I made my first post here asking for help:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
but all that gear cries to be overclocked
So here I want to try something I've never tried before... OC... The following is my current rig:

CPU - Core 2 Duo E8400
Memory - G. Skill 8000 8gb (4 stick) @ 5-5-5-15 2.0v
Motherboard - Asus P5Q Pro
GPU - XFX Radeon HD 4870 XXX 775MHZ 1GB
CASE - CM 923 HAF
PSU - Corsair TX 750
Hard drive - 4HDD
CPU Cooling - Xigmatek HDT-S1283

I did some google run on e8400 overclock guide and noticed a good number of owner pushed the 8400 to 4.4 before going into water. But most of them do not really tell how to. And also read the HWC P5Q Pro review by mac saying that it seems to be a good board to overclock.

I don't want to push it that far, My goal is to push it to 3.6 for now since this is a 24/7 rig. I've seen motherboard usually have software that helps you overclock but I am uncertain if they are safe to do so. I remember a cpu clocking speed revolves around FSB and multiplier? But what does voltage do?

Can anyone point me to the right direction? Am I asking for too much for this configuration? Is my current cooling good enough? I do have a H-50 that was originally going towards my sister's i5.... but didn't notice I need to order a mounting kit so now it's sitting in a corner.

Last edited by belinik; December 18, 2009 at 04:30 AM.