View Single Post
Old December 5, 2007, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know it's personal preference, but with the heat generated by newer motherboards around the chipset, I'd prefer to have the direct cross flow against the motherboard. I find taht without air blowing right on the chipset, the volt regs and mosfets get pretty warm. Also- one high speed fan is noisier than four low speed fans- with the stacker 832, you can set two or four fans in the rack and barely hear them- whereas my p180 downstairs is pretty noisy because of the fanspeed I needed to suck the heat out of the case to my satisfaction (I think there are pockets of still air in the corners of the case because theose r50s get blazing without a crossbreeze). I'm all about performance though, and I don't think it gets much cooler than a stacker 830 fully stocked with fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
Impressive

though, personally, the $400 motherboard is a waste and the stacker 832 is not one of my preferred cases.
Instead of using smart airflow, they just brute force as much air as possible...Not always a bad idea, but as quiet as 120mm fans are, that many of them is quite a bit of noise and vibration.
If I was you, I would consider some of the products from Antec, SilverStone and Lian Li as alternatives. They are usually of higher quality, much quieter and have more efficient ways of cooling. They use cleaver airflow paths to get maximum cooling with minimal fans.