View Single Post
Old October 18, 2009, 07:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
So having one exhaust fan shouldn't be a problem then? The setup I'm going to have when it arrives is 1x120mm in front, 1x120mm back exhaust, 1x120mm and 1x90mm on the side, pushing air into the case. So the positive pressure created by these should do a good job at just pushing air out the exhaust fan /ports eh? The 120's I have coming are medium rpm ones I think ( Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Jyuni 120MM Fan 1200RPM 68.5CFM 24DBA ) I'm not sure about the performance of the stock fan that comes with it. I may put that on the side if it's weaker than the Kaze.
I'm not an expert on airflow, so take these comments with a grain of salt..... ;)

If I were to attempt to "tune" the airflow in the case, I'd want to make sure that the main case airflow (front to back) remained the most active, and that any fans I put on the side were minor contributers to the overall airflow. My concern would be that high airflow (or pressure) coming in from the side would disrupt the natural flow (front-to-back) which might end up working against the cool air coming from the front fan.

As much as they're frowned upon, my own personal feeling is that the theory behind the "side fan with funnel directly to stock cpu fan" is sound as it shouldn't affect the natural front-to-back airflow over motherboard components. If you've got a powerful side fan which isn't confined in any way, I'd be concerned that the results would run counter to that theory.

Really, the only way to know for sure is to try it out with different configurations (and rpm) on the various fans to find which one offers the best overall component cooling.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP