View Single Post
Old March 2, 2007, 11:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

There is some decent OC hardware out there right now, and it is certainly easy to get started, but I'd be more inclined to consider the "golden age" as being a thing of the past.

The "golden age" IMO was pre "locked multipliers" when people were first discovering that many lower end Procs were in reality re-branded higher end ones, or that the manufacturers were lowballing the true performance of their chips in order to meet a business imposed industry standard for QC.

It was almost as much about "sticking it to the man" as it was about discovering the true capabilities of the hardware.

It involved tech savvy folks figuring out that jumpering two points together would unlock features like higher multipliers which the manufacturers didn't really want you to know about. (The SLI mod on the nF4-Ultra chipset, or volt mods on graphics cards also come to mind).

IMO, once the manufacturers include a function like ATI's Overdrive it's become a "feature" rather than a "Hack" and is really more about Marketing than being about true performance possibilities.

That said.... there are still strong communities built up around modding hardware, and people are still out there learning how to get things out of their hardware far beyond what the original intent was.

There's a volt mod for the S754 Asrock 6100 chipset mobo that I'm just waiting for the next upgrade to try out........

After all..... there does need to be a certain amount of real danger to get the full enjoyment out of an OC........ :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; March 2, 2007 at 11:03 AM.