View Single Post
Old October 10, 2009, 07:24 AM
MVP

My System Specs

CanadaRox -
Quote:
If the drivers don't want to do it (which seems to be the case), the only other thing I can suggest is using PowerStrip.
Yes, power strip is great, but prove to be helpless against this 60Hz wall nVidia artificially build for the DVI connections on older cards:

Always ghosted, no help, sadly :(
There IS a way - use ReForce 1.10 to enforce 75Hz to all or all wanted resolutions. The result on the reboot is BSOD as "inacessible device", or so nVidia claims. So, the wall had to be removed first...

bojangles -
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it. The refresh rate on a LCD is entirely different compared to a CRT. 60Hz is perfectly fine and is the standard of more modern monitors too.
It is not about worrying about it. It is about scrolling and games that SUXX in 60Hz, compared to 75Hz. Yes, it did not flick. But it update the screen slow, so, that is bad and that is why I want 75Hz. The problem is, that nVidia old TMDS encoders (5600XT have a internal one) used for the DVI outputs are not only integrated, but also inferior. For these reasond nVidia locked the refresh to 60Hz for DVI. Seems as "smart" solution at the time, but proven to be another case of "640k should be enough for everybody".

Check out the 6800 cards, where whole NV40 architecture did not even have internal TMDS encoders and cards had to have external ones:
AnandTech: ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition: Competition in the Mac Market

Or this nVidia log:
Model: GeForce 6800 Ultra

(II) NVIDIA(0): Using ConnectedMonitor string "DFP-0"
(II) NVIDIA(0): Enabled display device(s): DFP-0
(II) NVIDIA(0): Mapping display device 0 (DFP-0) to CRTC 0
(--) NVIDIA(0): DFP-0: maximum pixel clock: 165 MHz
(--) NVIDIA(0): DFP-0: External Dual Link TMDS

There has to be a way to detect the TMDS, drivers must do it, somehow.