View Single Post
  #3 (permalink)  
Old October 9, 2009, 06:15 PM
vulcan500rider's Avatar
vulcan500rider vulcan500rider is offline
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 497

My System Specs

Default

Alright! They're done! But I'll continue with the play by play.

It took me a while to decide what I wanted to use for fasteners, particularly for the speakers to the baffles. The easiest way would have been using particle board screws, but I've found that if you ever have to take them out, they may not hold particularly well when they're put back in. With that in mind, I decided to use bolts, but ran into a problem because I needed particularly small bolts; when I finally found them (1/8" pan-headed stove bolts) I had an additional two problems: I couldn't find t-nuts that small, and the bolts didn't come in black. For fastening to the T.V. stand, I went with 1/4" carriage bolts, but couldn't find them in black either.

The solution was simple: paint them.


While this created a few problems with threading the nuts on, some work with a wire brush and some solvent on the threads took care of it.

Because I couldn't get the t-nuts for the speakers, I was kind of at a loss. In the end (and I might regret it...) I decided to hot-glue them to the back of the baffles.


That done, it was time to get everything wired up and put in the fill. The soldering went without a hitch, and after some trying some different levels on fill, I ended up using about a quarter of the bag of fill that came with the RD kit in each speaker; any more than that and the bass began to sound muffled.



That done, I glued and clamped the front baffles to the completed boxes. Here's the finished product:



Did I mention I love that paint? All the fingerprints make the paint job look a little off, but the gloss is BEAUTIFUL, and works right in with my home theater.

Anyway, with the speakers together, the only thing left to do was to connect them to the T.V. stand. I drilled a hole in the bottom of each bracket and put the 1/4" bolt through, with a washer and a bolt at the bracket, and then again at the speaker's side. Though I didn't get a picture of it, I had a chunk of wood with a t-nut on the inside of each speaker box for the bolt to fasten into; I would have just used the t-nut on the inside of the box, but had no room to swing the hammer. Here's a picture of the bracket:


Finally, here are the two speakers attached to the bracket, on either side of the T.V. Project completed!...At least until I decide to do the surrounds and centre.



They sound fantastic!

Last edited by vulcan500rider; October 18, 2009 at 07:52 PM.
Reply With Quote