View Single Post
Old September 30, 2009, 08:09 PM
Rookie

Default Is this a good build to increase game performance? Work your magic!

I'm trying to build a gaming system that is far superior to mine. I can currently get between 60 and 80 FPS in Modern Warfare on Max settings (Full HD). It has spikes and drops depending on the action, but that's a given. I want to be able to play Modern Warfare 2 when it comes out at Full HD, max settings, and never drop below 125 FPS (futureproof for other games, as well as gurantee a seamless gameplay experience).

Here's my current system:

Motherboard: NFORCE 680i LT SLI
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 4GB OCZ DDR2 667 (PC2-5300)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MBytes

I've been browsing around for new parts for a rig, but can't settle on one. Here's what I've decided so far:

Motherboard: EVGA NFORCE 790i Ultra SLI
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ OC 3.00GHz
RAM: 4GB Corsair XMS3 Dual Channel DDR3 RAM
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB GDDR3
Additional: Some sort of processor cooling for the OC Q6600

My question is: Is it worth getting this build, or should I just get newer stuff (tri channel RAM, core i7/i5, GTX 295, etc)? To pick up all the stuff for the new rig would be about $450 (before any tax/shipping/sales). What's your suggestion, I'm open to all of them.

Keep in mind that the rig is mainly used for gaming. I do a lot of work on it, but none of it as intensive as the gaming I often do. Feel free to disregard my current choices and come up with something completely new. I am not loaded though, so the cheaper the better.

Thanks for your time and help,

-Mike