10 Step "No Post" BIOS Recovery Guide
View Single Post
November 15, 2007, 03:23 PM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Here's a way to possibly recover that last 5% of dead boards, especially those with soldered on bios chips that do not allow for a hotflash or replacement chip:
1. Make a bootable floppy (with a working computer, obviously !).
2. copy your motherboard manufacturer's recommended version of a bios flashing program (ie. awdflash.exe for Award bioses) on the floppy.
3. create a file call "autoexec.bat" on the floppy and insert the following text:
awdflash [bios filename].bin [switches]
--------- ie. awdflash 123abc.bin -f -c -a
4. Try to boot the dead PC with the floppy. If the bootlock section of the bios is not corrupted, you will see activity from your floppy drive.
5. Once the floppy activity stops, reboot the PC (without the floppy) and it should POST normally.
I've saved 2 bricked motherboard's with this trick, without having to RMA, Hotflash or use third party software like Uniflash.
Last edited by Synth; November 15, 2007 at
My System Specs
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Synth
Visit Synth's homepage!
Find all posts by Synth