View Single Post
Old September 26, 2009, 08:16 AM
Rookie

Default Old Gaming PC into HTPC - have any advice?

I just recently built myself a new gaming PC and workstation and now have my old PC components that I'd like to put into an HTPC build.

Here's what components I have:
2x Seagate 750GB SATA HDDs (for RAID)
WinXP MCE 2005
OCZ Modstream 550W modular PSU
ATI Radeon X1900XTX
DFI LANParty NF4 Ultra-D
AMD Opteron 165 OC'd @ 2.8GHz
Thermalright XP-120 heatsink + Panaflo fan
1GB OCZ RAM

My main concern is the huge heatsink + fan combo on the motherboard. I'm wondering if it will fit as-is in a Silverstone Lascala LC17B or an nMedia 6000B HTPC case. Is it even worth it to do this?

I'd love to be able to use these components for an HTPC since they're still in great condition and I've been wanting to build an HTPC for some time now.

Do any of you have any recommendations as far as whether or not this is feasible with the current hardware or perhaps any opinions on whether I should first replace the CPU heatsink/fan combo?

I'd also like to be able to game on the HTPC every now on then. Before I built my new PC I was playing games like Fallout 3, Resident Evil 5 and Dawn of War II on this old hardware and it ran well for the most part with mid and sometimes high settings. Should I be worrying about the heat output while gaming if this goes in an HTPC build? The HTPC will be in a well-ventilated area since my TV sits on a very wide stand.

Would love to hear your guys' thoughts and opinions. Thanks in advance!