Thread: HTPC build
View Single Post
Old September 19, 2009, 07:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Value Bundle Deal AMD Athlon II X2 245 & Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H DDR2 Motherboard -UNASSEMBLED - 785GM-X2-245 In Canada.

Don't really need a Phenom II X2 550 IMO, you won't be overclocking and you don't need top performance for a HTPC. The Athlon II X2 245 has plenty of power for media playback. And the onboard graphics of the 785G would suffice, but using your HD4350 is better still since you get 7.1 audio over HDMI. Could probably run Hybrid Crossfire to get some extra GPU power (uses onboard + video card).

NCIX.com - Buy OCZ ModXStream Pro 400W ATX 20/24PIN Modular Cables 140MM Fan Active PFC Power Supply - OCZ400MXSP In Canada.

Assuming you want modular, that should be plenty. About the only low-wattage modular PSU that I know of. Otherwise you'll be paying way more for a ton of power you'll never use.

NCIX.com - Buy Western Digital WD10EADS Caviar Green 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM - WD10EADS In Canada.

$100 for 1TB, and it's "green" meaning low-power and heat. I'd personally suggest having 2 in RAID1 for redundancy since I can't fathom having 1TB of unsecure data, but that's just me.

Memory, whatever 2x2GB DDR2 kit you want. Really doesn't matter.

CPU Cooler, don't think it's necessary. The stock cooling should be adequate and shouldn't be overly noisy. If it ends up being noisy, then think about replacing. However, could grab one of these since it's not overly expensive:
NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 AM2 AM3 S939 500-2000RPM 36CFM Heatsink Fan - ALPINE64PRO In Canada.

Optical, I'm fine with Pioneer too, grab a SATA model for easier cable management.

Case, whatever suits your tastes. Having a mATX motherboard as above really opens up your options though.