View Single Post
Old September 14, 2009, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

@tyreman: The manufacturer's test (Seatools) gives me the same result. I tried a short test which failed 2 / 2 times, then a long test which passed. Note that SMART was NOT tripped on the drive; I only discovered the issue because I set Ubuntu to run short tests on a schedule.

Anyway I had a 250 GB SATA drive lying around so I put that in and let the computer rebuild the raid 1 array on it. (resulting in a very strange software RAID with 1 IDE and 1 SATA drive). I didn't want to take chances with a drive containing a Subversion repo, since I read those can self-corrupt on a working disk.

Thanks for the advice / interesting to hear stories of some users tripping SMART and still losing nothing. The last two times my drive tripped a SMART warning (to the point where the BIOS is yelling), I had to reinstall my OS. ...then there was the Fujitsu drive which was eating my OS yet passing the manufacturer's test
"The computer programmer says they should drive the car around the block and see if the tire fixes itself." [src]