View Single Post
Old September 8, 2009, 08:14 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
Default Test Bed :: All kinds of crap is getting tossed into this salad

I ended up being quit messy with the video cards used just due to the nature of the benchmarks I was testing. I will keep the results broken up into the various GPU's used to keep it straight, and then have a 2D section for all non-3D benchmarks. I was definitely far from methodical with this testing as I have a lot of setups on the go right now so it was just a matter of whatever wasn't busy made it into the P55-UD4P.

Here is a complete list of hardware used...

Hardware used:
MB:          Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P (BIOS F3 mostly, Some F4M)
CPU:         Intel i5 750 ES (918B255)
CPU Cooling: Chilly 1 single stage (-35C'ish) // k|ngp| F1 EE
GPU:         2 x MSI R4890 Cyclone OC // Gigabyte GTX 260 OC // EVGA GTX 295
PCH Cooling: Stock
PWM Cooling: Stock
PSU:         Corsair HX1000W
HD:          Seagate SATAII 80GB 8MB NCQ
OS:          Windows XP Pro SP3 - hopped up on 32M tweaks // Vista Ultimate

Ambient Temperature: 22-23C
Now I will show some photos of each GPU setup with any notes on installation.

Gigabyte GTX 260 OC
click for full size...

There really is nothing to note with this setup as it is fairly straight forward. The one item of contention I have is the release clip which is an absolute PITA to get at with the card installed and the tight proximity of that southern MOSFET heat sink. I just knew that thing would be a hassle. It obviously isn't a deal breaker type of thing for a 24/7 user as you shouldn't be shuffling hardware much but still an annoyance none the less.

click for full size...

Much like the GTX 260, the GTX 295 obviously has no issues wedging its big ass into the P55-UD4P's top slot. In the second photo I snuck the 260 in the bottom slot to show that reference GT200 cards have no problems co-existing in this board. The spacing is quite nice. Again, however, the release clip on the top slot is a royal pain to get at.

2 x MSI R4890 Cyclone OC
click for full size...

The two MSI R4890 Cyclones pose no threat to the P55-UD4P. The extra space between the two PCI-E 16X slots provide all the breathing room necessary for these cards to not only fit, but run cool as a cucumber. I think that is going to wrap up the boring portion of today's entertainment, time to get to some results. As mentioned, I wasn't really interested in air cooling results so I start with barely sub-zero and my tired Chilly1 single stage unit running at -35C or warmer...usually warmer.