View Single Post
Old September 8, 2009, 08:14 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default Photos :: You know, pictures, images...like with a camera

I'll keep the yapping to a minimum and let the photos tell the story. You are all pretty versed with the nuances of a motherboard and know what you are looking for so hopefully you can decipher whether or not the P55-UD4P has what you need...without me telling you that it does ;)

click for full size...

A package is a package is a package, and the P55-UD4P comes in a package. The accessories are pretty scarce with nothing more than rear I/O panel, 4 x SATA cables, and a long flexible SLI bridge. The majority of the accessories are actually the manuals and software that comes with this motherboard. Gigabyte has really added a lot of software/hardware enhancements that might be worth looking into for some users. Now a bunch of photos of the motherboard itself...

click for full size...

Like I said, you know what you are looking for and there really isn't any need to comment on things shown above. The layout is pretty straight forward with no big surprises. The lack of a NB hasn't eliminated a large heat sink in the middle of the motherboard however as MOSFETs are now being cooled there. Let's take a look at the entire motherboard cooling solution while we are on the subject.

click for full size...

My biggest concern from the cooling on the motherboard is the proximity of this heat sink to the top PCI-E slot. This completely rules out any kind of sub-zero cooling on the GPU with this motherboard without having to remove the entire MOSFET cooling apparatus. It appears there is enough room for most current video cards but aftermarket coolers may cause issue. Passively cooled video cards with heat sinks that wrap around to the backside of the card will also obviously have problems with this heat sink being so close. Considering the limited amount of heat the MOSFETs should be generating, a much more logical solution could have been derived.

The rest of the cooling is pretty straight forward. An independent PCH heat sink that is low profile creating no interference issues with long video cards stands where a typical south bridge would be. All three heat sinks around the CPU socket sit fairly low all connected via a long snaking heat pipe. Aside from their proximity to the CPU socket, the PWM heat sinks shouldn't cause any issues with CPU coolers.

click for full size...

The rear I/O panel is littered with connections including a pile of USB 2.0 ports, both 4-pin & 6-pin firewire connections and the two eSATA ports already mentioned. The backside of the motherboard is of no importance aside from noting that the main heat sink where a typical north bridge would be is secured with screws while the rest of the motherboard heat sinks use basic push pins. I would have liked to see screws throughout but given the cooling tasks asked of these heat sinks, push pins should suffice. Time to get some hardware mounted in this board and see what it will do.