View Single Post
Old September 4, 2009, 05:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Scythe Mugen 2 CPU Cooler Review

Hey Everyone,
Just put a Scythe Mugen II cooler on my i7 system and since we don't have a review for it on the site, I thought I'd throw in my thoughts.

Scythe Mugen 2 CPU Cooler
- Initial Thoughts -
I had heard good things about the Mugen II cooler, and it's advertised as 1366 compatible. The cooler itself looks and feels well made and has ample cooling fins and heatpipes. The kit also includes a Scythe fan, and more can be installed on the cooler.

- Installation -
Wow, this is worse than Ikea instructions. Open up the box and you'll find about half a dozen mounting plates, arms, etc. Included are a bunch of bushings, screws and a small pack of thermal paste.
My first gripe upon looking at the instructions was how they tried to do a universal manual using mostly pictures and some text in about 8 languages. The pictures can be very ambiguous however and the text is nearly useless. About the only way the instructions could be less vague would be to say 'Put that thing over there, on that spot where it's supposed to go'.
It could just be my motherboard, but the directions for the 1366 mounting plate didn't match the holes on my board at all. After a bit of playing around I found I could get it to mount using the Q series mount combined with the 1366 brackets, but it was a pain figuring it out on my own.
Once fastned properly however, the cooler fits quite nice. The vertical clearance over my memory slots was a bit close. Fortunately my OCZ platinum doesn't have any additional heatspreaders on the top, but those of you using mem like G.Skill and Dominator might have clearance issues with your fan.
Speaking of the fan, it mounts fairly easily once you figure out how (thanks to the terrible instructions again). It uses two thin wire torsion clips to hold it the the cooler. A very nice feature is that you can pretty much arrange the cooler and fan in any direction/orientation you want. I have mine set up blowing cold air from below through the heatsink upwards towards the top exhaust of my case.

-Performance-
I haven't run benchmarks on this yet. But so far I've been really impressed with the cooling of this unit. Realtemp is usually showing in the high 30s or very low 40s with this on in idle to moderate use. Obviously running at load it's hotter, but so far I don't think I've broken the low 50s. Once I run some thorough tests I'll update this thread, but as of now, I'm pretty happy. The coolers' square shape and smaller size meant it fits in my case no problem and I didn't have to worry about the clearance issues of a TRUE or the Megahalems.

-Overall-
Pros
-Quiet (like a ninja!)
-Good Cooling
- Fan included
- Good Price, usually 30 bucks cheaper than a TRUE (or was when I was looking)

Cons
-Worst... Instructions.... Ever....
-Might not have the cooling potential of larger units
-Mounting brackets and clips don't necessarily mount how they say they're supposed to.

Overall I'm fairly content with this cooler. I was worried a TRUE or Megahalems wouldn't fit, so I decided to play it safe with this unit. It's quiet and cools pretty well. The included fan is high quality and clears normal sized memory. For a first time build though, I don't know if I'd recommend it for someone who wasn't confident in their problem solving skills. The instructions are terrible, and they give you just enough bushings and washers to squeak by, so don't loose any.

Now that my system is together and I'm looking at overclocking, I'll probably replace it with a CM Hyper 212+ or a Megahalems in the future though.

As always, your 2 cents are welcome. Post away