View Single Post
Old August 18, 2009, 11:22 PM
Top Prospect

Default Build for my sister

Not really looking for advice since I already built the PC, but I'm interested in getting peoples' opinions, mostly because I am not familiar with AMD builds.

This one was for my sister. She does a lot of photoshop - right now she's creating proposals for different manga companies, and all her art work has been done in photoshop. Right now the extent of her gaming has been Sims 3 - and I don't see her getting much more intense than that.

The parts are as follows (pardon the cut and paste):

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
AMD Athlon II X2 245
OCZ Platinum XTC PC2-8000 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-18
Powercolor Radeon HD 4670 PCs 750MHZ 512MB 1.74GHZ DDR3
Corsair VX550W 550W
Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B 1TB

I was going to stuff everything into her old case, but when I realized how cruddy the airflow was in her case, I went to buy some fans at my cousin's shop, lucked out, and got an old Thermaltake from him for free - no idea what model, but it's huge, and runs quite cool.

All told, after shipping and handling and GST, the whole thing cost $510 - if she gets all her rebates, that should be $63 coming back her way.

I figured the X2 245 should hammer on her old socket 754 Sempron, and yet is quite cheap and thus no big loss should she down the road decide she needs a new processor. My 1GB 4670 has done quite well for me despite my desire to upgrade - and once again, she's not going to do much gaming, so it seems this should be adequate for her. I BELIEVE everything else should be fairly solid.

Given that her budget got pushed as hard as it could, almost to the dollar... is this a fairly decent build for the money, given the requirements?