View Single Post
Old August 13, 2009, 06:23 PM
MVP
F@H

Question New Rig (Requesting Some Advice)

(First Post)
:help:

Hello everyone, recently found this site from reviews whilst looking for parts to build my new rig (and ordering my motherboard... lol)

I'm by no means completely new to building computers, I've been working on them for 10 years (with help for the first 4). I've already decided on the platform I'm running, and purchased the motherboard. Also I'm using a chassis that I've had here for about 2 years... details below.

---------------------
Motherboard:
ASUS R.O.G. Crosshair III 790FX (AM3 Socket, DDR3 {1600Mhz Native}, 2x PCIe16, 2x PCIe1)
---------------------
Chassis:
Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS SuperTower (ATX clearly based on the motherboard... although holds other FF)
---------------------
CPU (Need to purchase):
AMD Phenom II X4 955 B.E. AM3 3.2GHZ
- Right now this is what I'm considering purchasing. I've had a lot of people tell me to grab the X3 purely based on the idea that the 4th core can be unlocked using the 790FX chipset. The only thing is that I'm not sure that I want to void a warranty, nor do I believe that with my luck I'll receive a stable core after the unlock... Am I being too cautious? Or should I consider the price difference for the X3 chip?
---------------------
RAM:
Mushkin HP3 996629 4GB 2X2GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit
- Just purchased
---------------------
Video Card (Need to purchase):
eVGA nVidia GTX 275 896MB GDDR3
- I've always been an nVidia nut. But I'm not sure whether to go with this card, or an ATI card. This is one of the big points I'm stuck on along with the RAM... I'm too indecisive.
---------------------
PSU:
Corsair TX850W 850W
- Just purchased.
---------------------
HDD (Have tons of spares...)
---------------------
Optical Drives (have spares...)

EDIT:
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
I tend to multitask often. The PC will be used for both multimedia applications (Photoshop, etc.) and gaming.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
Price range: Nothing specifically. I would prefer to keep the remaining components within the $800-$900 range if at all possible.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
All parts will be purchased within Canada. Mainly from NCIX but if better prices can be found, well, who doesn't like to save on parts?

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
No real brand preferance. Performance > brand specific IMO

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Using current optical drives and HDD array.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
Browsed and saw that most new builds look to be i7 core based...

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
O/Cing my hardware is something I will be doing. Might also be looking into some aftermarket cooling products after I finish with this rig.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Building this system ASAP.

Last edited by Safearus; August 14, 2009 at 05:27 AM.