View Single Post
Old August 11, 2009, 01:12 PM
Rookie

Default Thoughts on my I7 build

Hi all,

I'm currently looking to build a new computer...my current one has an ASUS A8N-E, AMD 3700+ and ATI X800...it's a decent unit but it's age is starting to show.

I'd like to go with a good I7 system for now and future...main uses are gaming, some Photoshop and just general everyday use. I'm looking at spending around $1500 or so...I already have a 20" Dell Ultrasharp (1680x1050) for the time being but will be upgrading that later on. Also have an optical drive from my old unit that I will be using in this.

I live in Edmonton and would rather not pay for shipping, which is why I am not really considering newegg...right now NCIX has free shipping for your entire order if you purchase the WD 1 TB Caviar Black. Memory Express is pretty comparable, but most of the items are cheaper on NCIX.

Here are the parts I have selected so far...

Case:
Antec 900 (Memory Express: $119.99)

CPU:
Intel Core i7 920 (NCIX: $329.98)

Motherboard:
eVGA X58 SLI LE (NCIX: $244.99 after rebate)

Video Card:
BFG GTX 275 OC (NCIX: $224.99 after rebate)

Power Supply:
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W (Memory Express: $149.99)

RAM:
Mushkin XP3-12800 Xtreme Performance Redline DDR 6GB kit (6-7-6-18) (NCIX: $190.29 after rebate)

HDD:
WD 1 TB Caviar Black (NCIX: $89.99)

Total comes to about $1500 after tax and the rebates.

There are a few things I'm having a tough time deciding on...namely the RAM and case...and whether or not I'll need after-market cooling such as the V8 or True Black...I'll probably do some overclocking to get the CPU faster, maybe 3.6, but that's about it...stock should be fine for me in all cases.

Some of the other cases I've looked at are the Cooler Master 922 and 932, but both are pricier than the 900. Are there any other options I should consider?

As for the RAM...would it be worth the savings to get the G-SKILL (9-9-9-24) or similar OCZ set for $129.99?

I've toyed with the video card too, originally choosing a GTX 260....and then considering a GTX 285 but ultimately decided that the 275 is a good middle ground and fits my budget.

What do you think? Any thoughts, critiques, suggestions are much appreciated!