View Single Post
Old August 4, 2009, 07:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Well i was asking more for the i7 920 which was reviewed but i'll wait an hour to see what you have to say, who knows, maybe it'll go on sale tomorrow for the weekly sale (i can dream can't i?)
In all honesty, I'm not sure what to suggest. In the writeup for the results I posted I mentioned that this cooler didn't seem to be saturated by my 3 core OC, but that I didn't know where that saturation point would start.

That said, with the performance I've seen out of this thing, I'd be very surprised if a Higher-end cooler could beat it by more than 2c if the same fans were used.

It's also only $30, so if it's not working for you, I'm sure you can find somebody local to you who'd be willing to take it off of your hands for a Phenom II build. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Thanks Steve, sorry to ask again, how would you rate an AM3 system (let's take yours as an example) to an i7, performance/benchmark wise.. do you still get that much descent performance, or i7 kills AM3 (well you get the point right..)

You just posted barely 20 mins ago, I was almost going to right Calling Steve... an hour is over, guess Ima have to wait lol..
AFAIC i7 is still hands down a much better performer. The new(er) AM3 Ph II chips are closing the gap, but they still should only be compared to higher end S775 chips.

Would you see any difference outside of benchmarking? I doubt it very much unless you're doing some very specific applications, and for those you'd have to do the research to see which platform performs best.

As far as bang-for-buck goes... the AM3 Phenom II chips might have a slight edge. The platform certainly does with top-of-the-line-chipset motherboards being available for slightly over $200.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP