View Single Post
Old August 4, 2009, 04:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Next up we're going to mount the Hyper 212+ to the motherboard. Pictured above are top and bottom images of the mounting bracket which will secure the cooler. This is articulated to allow it to be inserted between the heatpipes. If you want to save yourself the same confusion as I originally had, you might want to pay particular attention to the orientation of the curve on these legs. (more on this later....)

Pictured above is the top of the heatsink's baseplate. If you compare the hole in the center of it with the previous image of the bottom of the mounting bracket you'll see how the two mate up. There's also a small pin that prevents the mounting bracket from rotating once it's in place.

These two images show the correct installation depending on the orientation you require in your case. The image on the left displays the installation for a standard front-to-back orientation, while the image on the right is for an up-down orientation. If you look at how the legs of the mounting bracket curve around the heatpipes in the first image, you should have no problem (unlike I did... :) ) getting the second configuration to work for you.

We're almost ready to mount the cooler, but there's one more step left. If you look at the screw mechanism on the mounting bracket, you'll see that there are actually 3 positions (middle / fore / aft). In order to line up with the standoffs on AMD installations, all of the screws must be positioned in the middle setting. This is accomplished by pulling up on the screwhead to overcome the spring detent. Once that's done, all that's left is to line up the screws and tighten them down into the standoffs.

Don't forget to tighten the bottom nuts (under the backplate) once you have the threads started, and of course, don't forget to remove the plastic protecting the surface of the base (clean it with alcohol) and to apply your favorite thermal compound. (Or the one provided by Coolermaster.)

There we have it.... Front and side views of a standard front-to-back install. I'll let you folks figure out the fan mounting brackets on your own. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; August 4, 2009 at 11:33 AM.