View Single Post
Old July 22, 2009, 11:43 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Wireless access point setup

Hey guys. I've been looking around trying to school myself on some wireless network info but still not really sure how to do what I want. Currently I have the modem set up in the basement and this is where the main router is (D-Link DIR-825) which broadcasts two SSIDs "dlink-a" for close range (higher frequency) and "dlink" for long range (lower frequency). The problem is that the lower frequency one still doesn't reach all areas of the house and is pretty weak in others so I want to add a wireless access point.

I have a Linksys WRT54GL sitting around I plan to use to do this.

First, Can I set up the access point wirelessly near the far reach of the current wireless signal to boost it? Or does it need to have a wired connection to the first router?

Second, I'm not sure how to set it up since the main router is dual band N and the second is just a regular G router, will it work? (it's mostly the dual band thing that concerns me)

Networks are probably my area of least expertise so any help you guys can give me would be great. If there are relevant guides out there I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

TIA