View Single Post
Old July 15, 2009, 09:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjanicki View Post
I will need to setup an old computer for my girlfriend's brother. I am an IT consultant and an enthusiastic but I never really setup any computers to be fool's proof before. He's not an idiot at all but the last notebook he has turned out to be full of viruses/malware/ random softwares/etc...

Ok, I will be installing him all the basic software he needs and will have him run on a non-admin account on windows XP. At first I tought about setting up a linux restrictive account but he's not used to non-windows/mac setups and I don't want to go in the trouble of explaining to him the linux basics.

Ok so, I'll install:

- Tiny XP
- Avira Anti-Virus
- Comodo
- iTunes (ipod fan) // I would use foobar though
- K-Lite codec pack with Media Player Classic
- Microsoft Office
- Firefox + Adblock plus / NoScript / etc...

- Guest account, but I'll give him the admin password if he wants to install some software

What else would you suggest ?
TinyXP? Did you nLite this yourself or is it some random torrent off the internet? If its the latter I say make your own build personally.

Firewall is useless and not needed as Windows built-in works fine and all your doing is adding overheard to the computer as.
Avira is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
not to nit pick but Adobe Reader would be a nice addition to that list ;)

and image the HDD so you can save yourself the re-install time because he sounds like a "repeat offender" heh

i know local group policies SUCK, and so do software firewalls but a way to block net access to P2P programs will probably stop nasties from getting into the laptop in the first place....

limewire.exe and etc.

hope my .02 was inspiring, GL-HF
Acrobat? Please Foxit Reader is 100x better and so much smaller.