View Single Post
Old July 12, 2009, 08:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I can understand the wish for some manner of comparing apples to apples, but in all honesty, the only true test of that would be to stick with the air cooler at stock. Perhaps a baseline of slapping a certain fan on all of the 12cm coolers would help, but where do you draw the line? Some coolers would benefit from a high CFM fan, others from high Static Pressure. Some would excel at providing great temps at low RPM (relative), while others would perform best with a couple of screamers in push/pull config. If we stuck with one particular fan, every review would have somebody complaining that the #s we used were skewed either pro/con based on what result they were hoping to see.

Knowing what a cooler would do under all different configs would be great, but that kind of thing is best left to members to report back. It's a slippery slope... if we included 4 different configs for every cooler, somebody would be looking for a fifth or sixth. As it stands, stock benchmarking alone takes a whole evening, and then there's the photos, the actual build, the charts, and finally putting it all together in the review. Quite simply there aren't enough hours in a day for a volunteer staff member to spend the kind of hours it would take to cover all of the bases.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP