View Single Post
Old May 19, 2009, 08:42 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Dying Pentium III fan - what should I do ?

Hi,

like the title says, I currently have a dying Pentium III CPU fan (it has more than 10 years!). It's making a LOTS of noise. I need a replacement for it (I'm using this computer to run some light services; currently it's hosting some (small) SVN repository). Now, I don't know what I should do; my goal is only to keep the CPU (Pentium III 1GHz) stable. It's not loaded often but it has to be able to cope with some load (i.e. I'm not sure running it without a fan would be a good idea, especially since the (stock) heatsink is really basic). I'm not really incline to buy a new heatsink/fan since the one you can buy looks like junk (or are too expensive IMO). I would just like to buy a replacement fan, but they seem really hard to find, and the way the fan is mounted to the heatsink makes me wonder if it's possible to stick some "generic" fan on it. I'm also considering buying a Antec Spot Cool and place it right over the heatsink, but I don't know if it's going to work well. So, anyone already been in my situation ? What's your suggestion ? What should I do ?

Thanks