View Single Post
Old May 17, 2009, 10:03 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
First off, not many of us are experts at USD builds, I personally have no idea what pricing is like or what sites are best for the states. That being said ill put what I know to work on the parts your looking at.

For your pricerange you should propbubly stay away from DDR3, it will make no difference in this build what so ever other then costing you more. Try and find a decent 790x or 790GX with DDR2 instead of ddr3, theres lots of them in the range of $100-$150 CND so you should be able to find one pretty cheap. The cpu you chose will work good for what you need as will the video card, XFX is a great company to work with. The hard drive, personally I would spend the extra on a 640gb western digital black, as its much faster and the price per gb is less.

You could get away with the Antec power supply for this build, its not as good as the corsairs, but this build could get by on 450w so the 500 will be good enough since your not looking at going crossfire or overclocking.

Ramwise go with G.Skill or mushkin if you can, their normally cheaper and better quality, if you go with those DDR3 kits, the G.Skill is much better then the XMS and cheaper. But like I said DDR3 will make no difference on this rig.

You could easily get away with the stock cooler on the X3 720, it wont run hot enough to matter if your not overclocking.

I totaly feel your pain, im running an amd xp single core 2200+ with 1gb of ram and a 9600SE... my main build is down till next week =(

I have to admit for a new builder you did a good job of putting this together, and an awesome job on the first post, the more info we get from you the easier it is for us to help =D

Just so you know the 790FX motherboards are pretty well meant for people looking to run crossfire with more then 2 video cards ;) the 790x and GX are centered around the more budget builds but still offer a TON of features for the price.
Hiyo. Thanks a ton of the quick reply. Yeah, I understand it may be harder for someone to know as much about USD Builds over CND builds, bit I figured I'd ask anyway. As far as places to shop, generally Newegg, Tiger Direct, or ZipZoomFly are pretty decent here.

Yeah, I understand that DDR3 would be a bit more expensive than a DDR2 build. I've actually looked at a ton of benchmarks on assorted sites when I was looking a processor comparisons between the X4 955/940, and the 810/720. I saw that in some cases, a DDR2 build actually beat out a DDR3 build, which surprised me. My only reasoning for splurging for DDR3 is because everyone I talk to is like "You want to lead yourself with an upgrade path, etc" and all that. So honestly.. I guess that is a good idea, but not as smart in my situation, huh?

Oh, and a 790X/GX Mobo, there's this GIGABYTE I was looking at the other day a while back that seemed like a decent deal: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards -- It supports AM3 boards, and it's DDR2 build.

As far as the HDD, thanks for the advice. I actually had the Black 640GB HDD on my wishlist to keep track of. It's $74.99 on Newegg.

As far as the PSU, see.. that's where I've had so much indecision. Sure I've done tons of research on Video Cards, RAM, and a Mobo.. but the PSU is difficult for me. I did a little read-up on how much power this system would take on Antec's site, and it read out at around I think.. 300W-ish on Idle, and like.. 350-360W-ish at full load. While that Antec 500W is $69.99, I could go with a Corsair 500W for $79.99 or the deal they have on a 650W for $99.99 -- to be safe. Thoughts on that?

I agree with the G.SKILL statement. That's what my friend has used for a while, and he's never had any issues. Corsair seems overrated to me for RAM. D:

As far as heat issues, yeah.. I'm not sure how hot the X3 720 would run in an Antec 300. Would all of this fit in the Antec 300 case? As far as fans go, there are I believe.. 1 120mm rear fan, and a 140mm Fan up top for the Antec 300. It also has room for I think 2-3 more fans in there.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments! I tried. I've been doing about three weeks+ worth of research on all the parts I'd need. It's been tough, but worth it so far.

And thanks for the explanation on the FX/GX/X Mobos. I noticed the GX/X boards have either X8 x2 PCIe 2.0 or one X16 while the FX has a spot for 2 X16 or 4 X8' -- which is crazy.

I know Crysis is basically the benchmark testing game these days sort of like Doom 3 was a while back. Would this system even run Crysis at all? Not that I'd want to actually play it, but if I were to play at like.. Average Settings + 1280x1024 or something around that resolution, would it still struggle majorly? Just curious! Thanks a ton again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I know I'm repeating most things but here's my choices:
ASUS board would be fine too, they're about the same. I just kind of prefer Gigabyte's cooling solution, and it is cheaper after the rebate.

Get whatever DVD-RW you want. They all perform the same function. This one seems to be all the rave right now over at CDFreaks though: Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive
Ahh, that's some nice stuff there too. The XIGMATEK I'm kind of confused about -- I didn't see the AM3 socket on that list, but I'll go to the website to check it out. That CORSAIR 650W PSU is actually one I was looking at and keeping track of. $60 off is huuge. Same with that Mobo. If I were to stay on the DDR3 path, I may go for that one instead of a super pricey one.

RAM, I'll bookmark that one, and keep track of that along with the G.SKILL and Mushkin.

I appreciate the quick responses here, guys. I love this place.

Last edited by Katsumara; May 17, 2009 at 10:15 AM.