View Single Post
Old August 29, 2007, 09:04 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
The separate, single wire is probably a tach lead. The 3-pin connector would let you easily wire it into a fan header on your mobo to get an RPM reading, which would then let you set up an alarm system to warn you if the pump suddenly dies (i.e. RPM=0).

As far as a fan controller is concerned, that pump pulls about 24W, which is more than a lot of fan controllers are capable of handling. The voltages aren't an issue, but the pump has a rated start-up voltage of 6V, so it's possible to accidentally set the fan controller lower than that, resulting in a pump that never starts. But as long the controller will handle the wattage, go right ahead and try.

BTW, I'm guessing that you're looking to slow the pump down? If it's the MCP655, I thought those had a speed adjusting option built into them? Or do you have the MCP655-B model, which comes without? If you have the built-in option, you'll get more adjustment range than you will with just changing the input voltage.

Yeah at first I thought I had the pot to adjust the speed but this model doesn't Anyway I received a reply from Swiftech telling me not to incorporate the fan controller. Would be nice though wouldn't you say.
1 Primary Raptor X 150 gig + 2 150 gig Raptors in RAID 0,
Swiftech H20-220 Ultra with a Stealth GPU water block,
Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP-HC 24" monitor,
Lian Li V2000 Plus Case slightly modded,
Steelseries Akari Laser Gaming Mouse, Razor Tarantula keyboard,
AuzenTech Prelude Sound Card,
Pioneer VSX-1016TXV receiver with Bose 301's,
AKG K240 Phones, Blue Snowflake USB Microphone.