View Single Post
Old April 17, 2009, 11:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You will need something that can read the file system on the HDD. Last I checked pretty much any recentish linux install will be able to do that but for windows you will need something like MacDrive or HsomethingExplorer IIRC.

Now, what do you hope to gain from this though? Because if you move any applications and stuff onto a FAT16/32 or NTFS or ext2/3 drive you will lose the resource fork of the file and render it useless. Anything without a resource fork is immune to that though.. like text files, jpegs and other standard image files or .sit, .bin, and a some other archive formats so you can safely copy those to your PC.

I think I will just suggest that you find someone locally who has some old Macs who can retrieve your files for you and slap em on a CD or disk image or something.

btw
You should be able to get a 50 pin -> newer SCSI connector adapter unless I am mistaken. Some people with old Macs get the reverse of that so they can use newish drives pulled from servers with the 50 pin SCSI port of their old Mac. Personally, I like to just use an old Mac with IDE and a CF to IDE adapter. :P (you can get SCSI -> IDE adapters as well but they are uncommon and expensive)

*Edit
Actually, you could setup an emulator and just copy the files over to it's disk image directly and then you would always have the files and related apps on hand.