Thread: 3 X 285's
View Single Post
Old April 10, 2009, 01:23 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Their methodology is explained here. The link talks about AGP graphic cards, but they didn't change their methodology with the arrival of PCI Express.

Quote:
Admittedly, I tend to err on the side of caution, though. In my books, a power supply should have the capacity to handle a rig that is artificially loaded to absolute max - say, with Linpack+Furmark - both which are capable of putting their targets past their official TDP ratings. If the PSU will handle that sort of situation, you know you've got comfortable headroom for everyday work/gaming, or even folding.
I agree with you, I also tend to err on the side of caution. But having an "overkill" PSU means not as good power efficiency in low load situations (when the computer is idling or near-idling - which is, in my case, most of the time, since it's often on from 7h to 23h). So for PSU, I'll try to get something with some overhead, but not too much, especially if the power supply is a good one. But this is really a personal choice. And you do have to consider the upgrade you might make to your rig...