View Single Post
Old March 28, 2009, 07:58 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Quick guide to using your PS3 for Folding@Home

Many people have the Playstation 3 (PS3) in their homes. Few people use it to fold for their favourite folding team. Here is a quick guide that will show you how to get started.

The tutorial below assumes you have your PS3 connected to a router or cable modem already. For more info on this see here:
PS3 | Settings

Also, my apologies if the images are a little blurred. The PS3 screenshots were done through a Composite/S-Video adapter to my capture card.

Step 1: Make sure your PS3 is up to date

Start the PS3. We should update to the latest version of the Playstation operating system. Before doing this, it might be a good idea to back up your PS3. Follow this link for more information on how to do this.

Select System Update on the XMB (XrossMediaBar, otherwise known as the menu on a PS3):

Update via internet or a USB drive which you may have saved an update to earlier.

In the case below, I have updated already. Upon updating, you will have to restart your PS3.

Step 2: Download the Life With Playstation application

You will need the latest verion of the Life With Playstation application for Folding@Home. This is especially important, as the Folding@Home application has been moved in the newest version, which causes some confusion among budding PS3 folders.

It used to be a stand-alone application in the Network panel of the XMB, but now it resides as a 'channel' within the new Life With Playstation application.

Navigate to the Network section of the XMP, and select Life With Playstation:

Press X to indicate OK:

Make sure you have Yes selected and press X to confirm.

You will see a download message. The download is ~125mb, and you must not turn off the PS3 or interrupt the process:

After the download completes, you will have to wait for the installation to finish:

When done, you will see this message:

Press Circle when you see it.

Step 3: Open Folding@Home

Select Life With Playstation and press X:

Press X:

To agree to the terms, press X again:

Accept and press X. Be careful, as "Do Not Accept" is the default.

You will be taken to the default 'channel' in Life With Playstation. In the case below, it is the Weather station called "Live". Yours may look like below:

We need to access the Folding@Home channel. You accomplish this by pressing and holding down Square, and then scroll down to "Folding@Home":

You will then be taken to the Folding@Home channel:

If you look in the top right corner of the above image, you will see the default Donor name is PS3, and the Team is 0. You will also see a progress bar below that, indicating that your PS3 is happily folding away. It does this in the background whenever the Life With Playstation application is running, wether you are on the folding channel or not.

However, we can't let the PS3 take all the credit for the folding your machine is doing. Now it is time to enter your Donor name, and team number. If you are not on a team yet, you can fold for us: Hardware Canucks Forum, team # 54196. If you don't want to fold for us that's OK too!

Step 4: Change Identity settings

(Note: you can connect a USB keyboard to the PS3 to make entering your name and team info easier)

To access the settings where you can enter your personal info, press Triangle. You will see the follow options, and select "Current Channel":

Scroll down and Select "Identity":

Select "Change Donor Name":

You will see the keyboard as shown below:

Above, you will want to backspace "PS3" out of there and use the controller to enter your Donor name. I will enter "chriskwarren" and press the "Enter" button at the bottom right:

Next, select "Join An Existing Team":

Then, backspace the "0" out of the team number:

Enter your team number and select Enter on the bottom right. In my case, I entered team 54196, which is Hardware Canucks Forum.

Press "Circle" to return to the Folding@Home channel.

Check to ensure that your Donor and Team name are correct:

You have done it! You have successfully entered your Donor name and are now accumulating points for your F@H team.

Step 5: Some optional settings to increase your folding points

I leave my PS3 running pretty much 24/7 so that it folds when I am not using it. In case you are wondering about the energy use, Stanford has this to say:

Quote:
The original PS3 model will use about 200 Watts while running Folding@home. A later model PS3 (with a 40 GB hard drive) will use about 115 Watts.
One way to get the most PPD (Points Per Day) out of the PS3 is to set the Life With Playstation to turm on automatically when the PS3 is sitting idle (remember, the Folding@Home application is a part of this program). This way, you won't have to remember to turn on Life With Playstation to earn points.

Make sure you are in the XMB main menu, and navigate to the Life With Playstation application. Don't start the application!:

Then, press Triangle. Select "Auto-Start":

Select the time you want the Life With Playstation to start. I selected "After 10 Minutes":

You are then taken to the XMB menu again.

Other Options

I find the music that plays when Life With Playstation turns on is annoying, especially if it is set to automatically turn on after 10, 20, or 30 minutes.

To turn this music off, access the Life With Playstation application. If you left it in the Folding@Home channel, you should end up back in that channel:

Press Triangle, and then select "Music":

Select "Disabled" by pressing X , and the exit the music menu by pressing Circle:

Now, you will only hear some effects when navigating the Life With Playstation application, and no music.
Fold for team #54196

Last edited by chrisk; March 28, 2009 at 10:12 PM.