View Single Post
Old March 28, 2009, 03:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default USB thumbdrive virtual memory in XP?

I see that Vista has the ability to use a USB pen drive as virtual memory and wondered if XP could do the same. After googling around for a while I couldn't find any real explanations... some people say you can, and some say you can't. Some say it's a good idea, and others say it's a really bad idea. Noone really explans how to go about it either.

I'm on a comp with 512mb RAM and a 40gig HD so I thought I'd at least try to mess around and see if it helped at all. Mostly I did it just out of curiosity, but since there's no money to upgrade this computer (and likely wouldn't bother anyway... it's not mine, and I just ordered one) I would be happy to see any performance increase at all.

I set the USB drive to 'Optimize for Performance'...
then formatted it to NTFS...
then set virtual memory to use it (well, all but 5mb can be used).

Not sure if it has helped, or if it even will. It seems to a little when I'm using programs that run the HD a lot, but maybe I'm just imagining it. At least it hasn't slowed things down at all. I've tried messing with the amount of virtual memory for my other HD... raised it, lowered it, shut it off completely... to see if there's any difference in any situation. I'm not really sure yet though, and since my own computer will be here soon (in pieces from NCIX) I likely won't spend much time testing this out unless I find some people who have had positive results.

There's a program called eBoostr that supposedly mimics the program Vista uses, but I didn't try it... and since they want $$$ for the full version I'm not going to bother. I'd just buy some more RAM if I wanted to spend money.

Does anyone here know anything about this?
Can setting some (or all) virtual memory in XP to a USB thumbdrive give any real performance boost? Is it at all dangerous to the system? I'm guessing that it'll kill the thumbdrive faster than normal use, but it only cost me like $8 so I'm not too worried about it.